"We the participants of the 3rd Singapore
AIDS Conference recognise that -
- AIDS is everyone's concern as it can infect and affect anyone;
- The incidence of AIDS/HIV infection is increasing in Singapore
and the region;
- HIV infection is spread through risk behaviours that are exacerbated
by economic, social, political, financial and legal obstacles,
as well as by harmful attitudes and behaviours that hamper awareness,
education, prevention, care and support and treatment efforts,
particularly to vulnerable groups;
- Prevention, treatment, care and support are mutually reinforcing
elements that must be integrated in a comprehensive approach.
In order to adequately and effectively challenge the AIDS epidemic,
we resolve to:
- Lead and participate in a multisectorial response to AIDS prevention,
care, support and treatment of infected persons.
- Intensify and strengthen greater participation of and collaboration
between government institutions, businesses, media, community
based organisations, religious leaders, and non-governmental organisations,
and persons infected with HIV, in our battle against HIV infection.
- Promote the creation of a positive environment to overcome AIDS
stigma, discrimination, silence and denial.
- Seek to increase accessible and affordable treatment for infected
Resolutions signed by Conference Cochairs, on behalf of the participants
of the 3rd Singapore AIDS Conference, dated this 23rd day of November
Dr Roy Chan
President, Action for AIDS
Ms Grace Chang
Business Coalition on AIDS in Singapore
Dr Lee Cheng Chuan
Consultant, Tan Tock Seng Hospital
Mr Brenton Wong
Vice-President, Action for AIDS